[GE users] manage NFS resources

murple andreas.kuntzagk at mdc-berlin.de
Wed Sep 9 09:17:11 BST 2009

Hi,

I'm not sure if it's possible but I'm looking for a good solution for
following problem. One type of task running in our cluster starts a lot
of identical jobs. All of them need to read some big input files from
the same NFS fileserver to start.
So in the beginning they all wait for I/O. Better would be to delay the
start of additional jobs until bandwidth is available again.  One
possibility is to script the starttime of the jobs accordingly. But for
this one needs to guess the time needed for a single job to read the input.

I thing a consumable is not a solution since this would only be freed
after job ends (long time after network bandwidth is freed).

This week we had one occasion where almost 100% of CPU was in IOWAIT
(according to Ganglia) for about 2.5 hours.

regards, Andreas