[GE users] manage NFS resources

bomb20 Harvey.Richardson at zeenty.com
Thu Sep 10 10:54:10 BST 2009

> Another technique you could use a lock file. Quite simply when the first
> job starts reading in the data it creates a file, an empty file is
> sufficient, then when it's finished reading the data it deletes the file.
>
> All jobs can then have a while loop which said while the lock file
> exists, sleep for (say) 60 seconds, then try again.

I used NFS file coordination for a cluster sanity check tool and had
to have long timeouts to make sure the nodes saw the correct state from
NFS.
If the workload is a jobmix then maybe you could prestage the data locally
by intercepting qsub.  This is the sort of thing the eXludus software
does (or at least their initial software did this).

Harvey