[GE users] backfilling in SGE 6.2

tgebert tgebert at transtec.de
Fri Sep 11 14:01:29 BST 2009

Hi out there,

does anybody know if it's possible to disable the backfilling mechanism in the Sun Grid Engine, so that the scheduler just does a FIFO scheduling?
The background is that I want to achieve a pure priority based scheduling and job submission. Actually I am facing the problem that small jobs ( 8 procs ) are preferred even if they have a lower priority in the pending jobs.
I already have tried the "-R y" option, but somehow this won't work. Even when I submit a job with e.g. 64 procs request and the "-R y" option and a higher priority than an 8 proc request job, the 8 proc job starts first and prevents the 64 proc job from running.

I hope anybody out there was facing the same problem once before and knows how to work around or solve this.

All the best
Thomas