[GE users] cannot run in PE "smp" because it only offers 2 slots

seandavi seandavi at gmail.com
Fri Sep 11 17:29:00 BST 2009

I have an SGE 6.2 system with several 8-processor smp machines for which we have the "smp" parallel environment:

> qconf -sp smp
pe_name            smp
slots              60
user_lists         NONE
xuser_lists        NONE
start_proc_args    /bin/true
stop_proc_args     /bin/true
allocation_rule    $pe_slots
control_slaves     FALSE
job_is_first_task  FALSE
urgency_slots      min
accounting_summary TRUE

Note that it has 60 slots.  qstat shows no jobs running and no error conditions.  I submit the "sleeper.sh" job as just a test:

qsub -pe smp 8 sleeper.sh

qstat -j shows:

parallel environment:  smp range: 8
scheduling info:            cannot run in PE "smp" because it only offers 2 slots

Any ideas what the issue is?

Thanks,
Sean