[GE users] 6.2u3 Exclusive Scheduling Feature

reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Sun Sep 13 12:57:37 BST 2009

Am 11.09.2009 um 20:51 schrieb peeter:

> I'm looking for suggestions on how to best accomplish: request
> multiple cores on a single system.
>
> I was going down the PE path and then noticed the new 6.2u3 feature
> 'exclusive host scheduling'. It sounds like the new feature would
> work, but how would I get around having some systems with (4)cores
> and then some systems with (16)cores? In other words if a job uses
> the exclusive host feature of (4)cores but ends up on the system
> with (16) cores, doesn't the feature then freeze out the 12 cores
> on the (16)core system?

"exclusive" will give you the complete node. Whether you use all
cores, all available RAM, or the complete I/O (and maybe only one
core) is up to you. You can either use a PE to allow many jobs per
node, ot adjust the number of to be used cores in the jobscripts to
use always all available ones, e.g. for Open MP:

export OMP_NUM_THREADS=`grep -c processor /proc/cpuinfo`

-- Reuti