[GE users] Group membership limit?

reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Mon Sep 14 15:26:22 BST 2009

Am 14.09.2009 um 15:45 schrieb udowaechter:

> On 14.09.2009, at 12:34, reuti wrote:
>> Am 14.09.2009 um 11:35 schrieb udowaechter:
>>
>>> Hi, I wrote the mail below to the mailing list, beliveing that this
>>> problem might occur only under snow-leopard. Now I think that this
>>> might
>>> be a general OS-unrelated question.
>>>
>>> Is there a limit to the number of groups a user can be a member of?
>>> As I describe below, in Snow Leopard the user root is member of 19
>>> groups and GE fails to run jobs as that user.
>>
>> AFAIK GE will only record the primary group. Hence it might occur
>> when the additional group ID will be attached. Can you try on the Mac
>> just to add some more groups - is this working?
>>
> Yes, I know that only the primary group is recorded. The primary group
> of root on SnowLeopard is 0 (i.e. wheel).
> The job should should run as this uid/gid.
>
> Do you mean I should add even more groups to the user? I do not
> understand what this should show me, the jobs already do not run.

SGE is always adding one group to track the resource consumption. Now
the question: is there any limit in Mac OS X? When you can additional
groups to the root user, then there is no limit in Mac OS X per se,
but show up only when SGE is adding one group. Then we can check
where this issue is created.

-- Reuti