[GE users] Scheduling policy question

Wed Sep 16 12:26:30 BST 2009

> > The easiest way to fix this problem would be to set
> > queue_sort_method=seqno, but I'm afraid this isn't the best method,
> > either, since there probably will be times where I want jobs
> > assigned to
> > the least-loaded node. I've read the sched_conf man page, but don't
> > see
> > any obvious (simple) fixes.
> >
> > If the Mathematica jobs were truly parallel, I could create a PE
> with
> > allocation_rule=$fill_up, which might help.
> >
> > Any suggestions?
>
> Please have a look here:
>
> http://blogs.sun.com/sgrell/date/20050405
>
> for a "fill up" configuration.

If you want special behaviour for Mathematica only, you might be able to
cobble something together based on soft requests.

For example, define a complex 'mathjobcount' as an INT.
Each time a mathematica job starts, its prolog should increment the
count on that host (see my last posting about using qconf -mattr).
The corresponding epilog should decrement the count on the same host.

If your Mathematica jobs are submitted with -l mathjobcount=1 as a
soft-request, subsequent Mathematica jobs should preferentially be
scheduled on a host where another Mathematica job is already running.
Since the request is 'soft', the initial job will run too.

Try playing with the urgency associated with this complex as well to see
how that affects the scheduling decisions.

/mark

This e-mail message and any attachments may contain legally privileged, confidential or proprietary Information, or information otherwise protected by law of EMCON Technologies, its affiliates, or third parties. This notice serves as marking of its "Confidential" status as defined in any confidentiality agreements concerning the sender and recipient. If you are not the intended recipient(s), or the employee or agent responsible for delivery of this message to the intended recipient(s), you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail message is strictly prohibited.
If you have received this message in error, please immediately notify the sender and delete this e-mail message from your computer.