[GE users] 6.2u3 Exclusive Scheduling Feature

gugg1978 guggenberger at rzg.mpg.de
Thu Sep 17 16:34:18 BST 2009

> Am 11.09.2009 um 20:51 schrieb peeter:
>
> > I'm looking for suggestions on how to best accomplish: request
> > multiple cores on a single system.
> >
> > I was going down the PE path and then noticed the new 6.2u3 feature
> > 'exclusive host scheduling'. It sounds like the new feature would
> > work, but how would I get around having some systems with (4)cores
> > and then some systems with (16)cores? In other words if a job uses
> > the exclusive host feature of (4)cores but ends up on the system
> > with (16) cores, doesn't the feature then freeze out the 12 cores
> > on the (16)core system?
>
> "exclusive" will give you the complete node. Whether you use all
> cores, all available RAM, or the complete I/O (and maybe only one
> core) is up to you. You can either use a PE to allow many jobs per
> node, ot adjust the number of to be used cores in the jobscripts to
> use always all available ones, e.g. for Open MP:
>
> export OMP_NUM_THREADS=`grep -c processor /proc/cpuinfo`

can this "exclusive scheduling" feature be used to override other consumable complexes with less restrictive values ?

I.e. I am sometimes in the situation to have h_vmem consumable on all my hosts, but would
need an additional (retricted) queue which would allow for h_vmem=unlimited. Is there solution for such a situation ?

cheers.
 - Christian