[GE users] qlicserver misunderstanding

Tue Sep 22 07:48:36 BST 2009

> Also, i did make one change to the qlicserver script. i made it not
> count suspended jobs because for me, suspending the job clears the
> license.
>
> in sub qstat
> #EAW    my $lines = Sge->bin( qstat => qw( -u * -xml -r -s prs) ) or
> return $status;
> # Ignore suspended jobs since they don't take licenses
>     my $lines = Sge->bin( qstat => qw( -u * -xml -r -s pr) ) or return
> $status;

I would be very careful about using this change. The immediately
apparent issue would be that not every application returns its license
when suspended and that a more general solution would need to address
this.
However, the real problem is that it doesn't actually change anything
apart from the qlicserver output itself. The number of licenses
(complexes) that the GridEngine is administering remains the same.
To test my hypothesis, you should try the following simple case:

Limit the maximum number of licenses to a small number (eg, 1 or 2),
either via the qlic utility or by adding a "limit" attribute to your
qlicserver config. After allowing the changes to take effect, submit
several jobs so that a few jobs are waiting. Try suspending 1 or 2 of
your jobs and see if the waiting jobs will start at all. I believe that
the consumable complexes are *not* released internally when a job is
suspended, but Reuti or Dan might be in a better position to confirm
this.

/mark

This e-mail message and any attachments may contain legally privileged, confidential or proprietary Information, or information otherwise protected by law of EMCON Technologies, its affiliates, or third parties. This notice serves as marking of its "Confidential" status as defined in any confidentiality agreements concerning the sender and recipient. If you are not the intended recipient(s), or the employee or agent responsible for delivery of this message to the intended recipient(s), you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail message is strictly prohibited.
If you have received this message in error, please immediately notify the sender and delete this e-mail message from your computer.