[GE users] [GE users] Send jobs to specific nodes

templedf dan.templeton at sun.com
Wed Sep 23 14:01:03 BST 2009

The easiest way to do it is to wait until 6.2u5 comes out early next
year.  That will be included as a feature of u5.  Until then, I see two
basic options.  You could create 4 queues and use the queue processor
binding (See "processors" in queue_conf(5)) to binding each one to a
specific slot on each host.  Then, if you need a specific core, you can
submit to the queue for that core, and if not, then let SGE pick the
queue/core for you.  The other option would be to rig your own
simplified version of the u5 job binding feature using a custom complex
and a custom starter method that does the processor binding before
launching the job.

A completely different approach would be to use some kind of
virtualization to make each of the hosts look like four single-core
machines, but that's probably overkill.

Daniel