[GE users] Sun HPC Software Workshop '09 Report

templedf dan.templeton at sun.com
Mon Sep 28 15:38:34 BST 2009

Three weeks ago, we held the first Sun HPC Software Workshop in
Regensburg, Germany, home of the Sun Grid Engine team (or least a good
chunk of the team).  This Workshop was the combination of the
semi-regular Grid Engine Workshop and the first ever European Lustre
Users Group Meeting, with a full track on HPC and cloud development
thrown in for good measure.

In the course of two and a half days, 39 speakers presented 53
presentations on Grid Engine, Lustre, Sun Studio, HPC ClusterTools, SAM
& QFS, ZFS, GigaSpaces, Oracle Coherence, Univa UniCluster & UniCloud,
NICE EnginFrame, DRMAA, OCCI, ncVenus, OpenNebula, etc, etc, etc.  Those
presentations are now (mostly) online at the Workshop wiki:

http://wikis.sun.com/display/SunHPC09/Sun+HPC+Software+Workshop+'09+Wiki

The missing ones will be added as they become available.

On top of that, we offered an extra day of deeper content on Monday for
Grid Engine, Lustre, and HPC programming.  The slides from the Monday
advanced seminars will also be linked from the wiki as they become
available.

Also linked from that wiki is the Workshop Flickr album, started by Miha:

http://www.flickr.com/groups/1236987@N23/pool/

It's an open group, so please feel free to join and add your own
Workshop photos.

As part of the Workshop, we ran three contests to get people talking to
each other and to us, and it worked.  Four people walked away with brand
new iPods (two got Nanos, and two got Touches).  Congratulations to the
winners!

By all accounts the Workshop was a great success.  100% of the people
who gave us feedback said they'd consider coming again next time.  Also,
100% of the people who gave feedback said they want to see this workshop
happening every year, not every other year or every third year as has
been the case in the past.  Excellent!  We will do our best to hold it
again next year, same bat time, same bat channel.  Since we can't
predict how things will look by this time next year, I can't make any
promises, but we'll do our best.

Thank you to everyone who attended and a double thank you to everyone
who presented.  Without your contributions, it wouldn't have been much
of a workshop.  Keep participating in the Grid Engine community, and I
hope to see you at next year's Workshop!

Thanks!
Daniel