[GE users] SGE6.2u3 question

craffi dag at sonsorol.org
Mon Sep 28 22:19:03 BST 2009

One other gotcha if you are using a NetApp or other snapshot-aware
filer for qmaster -- the spool files created by SGE (classic or
berkely) are changing constantly along with the reporting and
accounting text files (plus all the temporary job related files that
will be coming and going in a central spooling setup).

This constant "churn" may be enough to overwhelm a default snapshot
policy especially if your job throughput rate is quite high. The size
of the files involved is quite small but they are changing
*constantly* and thus would be picked up by any sort of hourly snapshot.

Yes we did learn this lesson when snapshots overwhelmed and filled up
our /sge volume. We had 6GB worth of real data and over 80GB of
snapshots.

-Chris