[GE users] node load and selection

igardais igardais at yahoo.fr
Fri Apr 2 07:35:04 BST 2010

Hi Daniel,

That's correct.
Should I lower job_load_adjustments, load_adjustment_decay_time or both of them ?

Thanks,
Ionel

________________________________
De : templedf <daniel.templeton at oracle.com>
? : users at gridengine.sunsource.net
Envoyé le : Jeu 1 avril 2010, 15 h 44 min 21 s
Objet : Re: [GE users] node load and selection

I think the explanation he's looking for is job_load_adjustments.  By
default, Grid Engine is set with job_load_adjustments as
np_load_avg=0.5.  That means that for every job placed on a node, Grid
Engine adds 0.5 to that host's np_load_avg virtually.  That load decays
over time (7.5 minutes by default).  The idea is that jobs tend to ramp
up their resource usage (CPU in this case) over time.  Instead of making
scheduling decisions based on the jobs' initial resource usage, we add
the virtual load to give them a little buffer space.  The net is that
Grid Engine doesn't pack jobs in as tightly as you might at first expect.

Daniel