[GE users] Installing and Configuring SGE (as execute-host) on Diskless-Cluster Nodes

templedf daniel.templeton at oracle.com
Mon Apr 5 15:18:51 BST 2010

If you look at the execd installation process, here's what it does:

1. qconf -aconf <hostname>
2. qconf -ae <hostname>
3. qconf -aattr hostgroup hostlist <hostname> @allhosts
4. Create RC script for execd
5. Start sge_execd

Notice only adding the RC script requires modifying the local file
system.  So, as long as your cell/common directory is on a shared file
system, which is the assumed configuration, then all you really have to
worry about are the binaries and getting the RC script set up.  You
probably don't want to have the binaries on the shared file system,
especially if you're running large parallel jobs.  If you have a
smallish cluster, though, it might be OK.

Daniel