[GE users] Memory as a Consumable

isakrejda isakrejda at lbl.gov
Tue Apr 6 17:38:42 BST 2010

Hi,

I am trying to set up memory as a consumable on our cluster. I searched
the e-mail archives
and found 2 threads related to it:
http://gridengine.sunsource.net/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=38&dsMessageId=206604
http://gridengine.sunsource.net/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=38&dsMessageId=2383

one of them discusses mem_free and the other suggests to use the h_vmem
instead.
Could somebody comment on advantages of one vs the other?

I also see mem_free as being one of the load values reported per host.
If I strat setting it, won't it interfere?

Also all our jobs are already requesting h_vmem (and I am forcing a default
allowing users to go higher than the default), so I thought that would
be easier.

We have hosts of various generations with memory that differs, so what
value
should be used for the deafult? I read the default as "value to be
assigned if there is
-l h_vmem specified, but nothing assigned". Reading the postings I am
getting
confused. So what id the meaning of 'default" in the complex definition?

Thank You,

iwona