[GE users] [OT] SGE and Eucayptus clouds

craffi dag at sonsorol.org
Wed Apr 7 18:22:50 BST 2010

As far as I can tell Eucalyptus is just an open-source reimplementation
of the public APIs that amazon exposes for their EC2 service (just like
hadoop is an implementation of how google described map reduce in a
technical paper ...). I would be surprised if it could do any scheduling
at all in fact if it's main goal is to replicate EC2 APIs.

It's trivial to deploy SGE in the Amazon cloud but it's really not the
"best practice" way of doing work on infrastructure cloud platforms. We
use it mainly for running legacy software and pipelines where we either
can't switch things around or we don't think it's worth the effort.

The cloud systems are different enough from an infrastructure and
service perspective:

	- built for massive internet-scale operations
	- organized around an eventual consistency model
  	- lots of loosely coupled distributed systems
	- systems operate asynchronously and independently
	- statekeeping via message passing & queue systems
	- dedicated resources for tasks rather than shared systems

The "cloud way" to do things is quite different from the SGE model.

If you were looking to schedule virtual machines on Amazon I'd consider
just using their already-present message passing, monitoring and
auto-scaling tools to do so. Just make your amazon AMI images your
"virtual machine" and use whatever metrics you want to decide when (and
how many) of those VMs/amis to launch/run/stop at any given time.

Personally I won't touch Eucalyptus. I am not interested in using any
IaaS provider that has less than say 200,000 CPU cores under management.
If a vendor is doing cloud stuff on a smaller scale then I simply don't
trust that they have seen and solved all of the engineering, technical,
availability and management issues seen at high-scale.

More ranting:

Running an "internal cloud" in 2010 is just silly for the majority of
public use cases I've seen. 90% of the "private cloud" stuff right now
is just sick marketers (same people who ruined the term 'grid
computing') rebranding the same boring stuff that people already do
today with VMWare and Xen. It's all marketing and nothing new or clever.
The remaining 10% of "private cloud" fluff is coming from vendors who
want to sell you a whole new datacenter's worth of virtualized IT,
storage and networking gear.

-Chris