[GE users] [OT] SGE and Eucayptus clouds

seandavi seandavi at gmail.com
Wed Apr 7 18:22:53 BST 2010

On Wed, Apr 7, 2010 at 1:14 PM, rayson <rayrayson at gmail.com> wrote:
> Does anyone know the scheduling ability of Eucalyptus??
>
> I went through a few persentations on the Eucalyptus website, but
> could not find much info about the internals of Eucalyptus.
>
> I tried EC2 and RightScale last fall, and I think the scheduling
> capability of EC2 is rather limited. I was wondering if SGE can be
> used to schedule virtual machines, and some sort of SGE/Eucalyptus
> integration might create a powerful cloud computing platform.

Hi, Rayson.

My understanding is that SGE would be used for instantiating machine
images as needed in some cloud that supports necessary APIs for
machine instantiation.  Eucalyptus would simply serve as the platform
supplying that API for the actual instantiation and would not do any
scheduling.  Maybe I am misunderstanding something here, though.

Sean