[GE users] Any reason not to have all user's workstations as submit hosts?

bdbaddog bill at baddogconsulting.com
Mon Apr 12 18:18:45 BST 2010

Reuti,

On Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 9:05 AM, reuti <reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de> wrote:
> Am 12.04.2010 um 12:35 schrieb rumpelkeks:
>
>> Well, we've got a lot of things - certainly /home - on a central file
>
> I would be concerned that someone uses local root access to gain access to other users files and credentials.

That's how most large deployments are done.
(I've been at companies with up to 5k employees done this way, and
even allowed mounting home dir's over the WAN, which was slow of
course, but functional)
All workstations use automount to mount /home's from various fileservers.
There's also a noroot option on mount which won't let root access or
is it just write/modify non local filesystems.

-Bill