[GE users] qalter changes not taking effect

chris_petty chris.petty at duke.edu
Mon Apr 12 19:58:37 BST 2010

I have added a loop to our site's prolog that tests a valid email address against a list of known bad addresses, if it finds a match, qalter is called to completely turn off the email notification.

the loop works, and qalter is called, but no matter what is done, none of the changes take effect.

for instance:

qstat -j on my job shows these email options
mail_options:               ae

when i apply "qalter -m n JOBID" to the particular job, the "mail_options" field is no longer present through "qstat -j" and i get the confimation "modified mail options of job 86641"

However, the email is sent regardless.  I also tried to change the recipient in the "mail_list" field to a new email address.  In this case the new email address appeared with "qstat -j" inspection, but the new email was not used, and the old email address was still sent the email.

any insight on how i might get around this?