[GE users] qalter changes not taking effect

reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Mon Apr 12 20:16:05 BST 2010

Hi,

Am 12.04.2010 um 20:58 schrieb chris_petty:

> I have added a loop to our site's prolog that tests a valid email address against a list of known bad addresses, if it finds a match, qalter is called to completely turn off the email notification.

when you just disregard the email completely, maybe you can define it in the postfix or sendmail setup not to send to such addresses.

> the loop works, and qalter is called, but no matter what is done, none of the changes take effect.
>
> for instance:
>
> qstat -j on my job shows these email options
> mail_options:               ae
>
> when i apply "qalter -m n JOBID" to the particular job, the "mail_options" field is no longer present through "qstat -j" and i get the confimation "modified mail options of job 86641"
>
> However, the email is sent regardless.  I also tried to change the recipient in the "mail_list" field to a new email address.  In this case the new email address appeared with "qstat -j" inspection, but the new email was not used, and the old email address was still sent the email.

It will work when the job is rescheduled. I think a better place would be a JSV (job submission verifier) when the job is submitted.

Do you also check whether the user put a valid address into their ~/.forward?

-- Reuti