[GE users] VPN startup problem when using the SDM cloud adapter

rhierlmeier richard.hierlmeier at sun.com
Tue Apr 13 12:28:52 BST 2010

For efficiency reasons, the system has converted the large body of this message into an attachment.

    [ Part 2: "Included Message" ]

Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2010 12:28:31 +0100
From: Richard Hierlmeier <Richard.Hierlmeier at Sun.COM>
To: users <users at gridengine.sunsource.net>
Subject: Re: [GE users] VPN startup problem when using the SDM cloud adapter

Hi Joris,

welcome back.

you can debug the complete execd installation process of SDM if you set the
keepFiles attribute of the SDM executor on the cloud host:

1. Modify the configuration of the executor:

% sdmadm mc -c executor
<executor:executor ...
    keepFiles="true"/>

2. Make the configuration active on the cloud host:

% sdmadm uc -c executor -h <cloud-host>

3. Reset the resource (it should be in error state)

% sdmadm rsr -r <cloud-host>

The resource_resource command will reinstall the execd on the cloud host.

4. Wait until the resource goes again into error state.

5. Login in into the cloud host and look into the directory
    <local_spool_dir>/tmp/executor.

You can find the local spool directory on the cloud host with

# sdmadm -s <system_name> sbc -all
ts31040system SYSTEM arges 31040
     spool=/var/sdm/<system_name>   <-- the local spool directory
      dist=/opt/sdm

You will find in <local_spool_dir>/tmp/executor for each executed command
a directory. The directory names have the format <user_name>_<sequence_nr>.
The directory with the highest sequence number will contain the protocol of the
last (un)install command (including stderr and stdout output). The username is
always root.

If the the stderr and stdout outout contains still no use full information
please enable the debugging of the inst_sge script. Uncomment the line with

# set -x

in $SGE_ROOT/inst_sge on the cloud host.  Repeat the installation:

# cd <local_spool_dir>/tmp/executor/root_10
# ./install_execd.sh

Richard