[GE users] VPN startup problem when using the SDM cloud adapter

rhierlmeier richard.hierlmeier at sun.com
Tue Apr 13 15:40:08 BST 2010

For efficiency reasons, the system has converted the large body of this message into an attachment.

    [ Part 2: "Included Message" ]

Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2010 15:39:55 +0100
From: Richard Hierlmeier <Richard.Hierlmeier at Sun.COM>
To: users <users at gridengine.sunsource.net>
Subject: Re: [GE users] VPN startup problem when using the SDM cloud adapter

Hi Joris,

On 04/13/10 15:45, jorisroovers wrote:
> Ok,
>
> I got some valuable information out of this (thanks for your quick reply).
> The second root_xx directory (=output of the xx script) contains the
> following error
>
> Cannot contact qmaster. The command failed:
>
>    ./bin/sol-x86/qconf -sh
>
> The error message was:
>
>    error: could not get environment variable SGE_QMASTER_PORT or service
> "sge_qmaster"
>

> Setting the SGE_QMASTER_PORT variable does not change anything about
> this, the error stays there. However, if I add sge_qmaster to
> /etc/services and do the same for sge_execd the installation works.
>
> This means that somehow, the automatic installation procedure doesn't do
> this.
> If checked the install_execd_cloud.conf file and it contains the correct
> entries for the ports:
>
> SGE_QMASTER_PORT="6444"
> SGE_EXECD_PORT="6445"
>
> How can this happen? Is this the result of some faulty configuration, or
> something else ?

That's really strange. I don't know how the execd install script evaluates the
SGE_QMASTER_PORT. Normally I would say that it is taken from the auto
configuration file. However it is also possible that it is taken from
$SGE_ROOT/$SGE_CELL/common/settings.sh.

The cloud-adapter synchronizes the files in $SGE_ROOT/$SGE_CELL/common at the
cloud host with the files from qmaster. Do you have the correct SGE_QMASTER_PORT
in $SGE_ROOT/$SGE_CELL/common/setting.sh on the cloud host?

Did you uncomment the "set -x" line in inst_sge? In the debug output you can see
what value SGE_QMASTER_PORT has.

Richard

> Thanks,
>
> Joris
>
> On Tue, Apr 13, 2010 at 13:28, rhierlmeier <richard.hierlmeier at sun.com
> <mailto:richard.hierlmeier at sun.com>> wrote:
>
>     For efficiency reasons, the system has converted the large body of
>     this message into an attachment.

Richard Hierlmeier           Phone: ++49 (0)941 3075-223
Sun Microsystems GmbH
Dr.-Leo-Ritter-Str. 7        mailto: richard.hierlmeier at sun.com
D-93049 Regensburg           http://www.sun.com/grid

Sitz der Gesellschaft: