[GE users] Any reason not to have all user's workstations as submit hosts?

prentice prentice at ias.edu
Wed Apr 14 16:02:46 BST 2010

I originally started using SGE just for this feature.  If you're
concerned about security, you can always use SGE's CSP to provide
certificate-based security.

http://wikis.sun.com/display/gridengine62u3/How+to+Install+a+CSP-Secured+System

I find anything your can do to make work easier for your cluster users
is a win, and allowing them to compile code and submit it from their own
desktop is a big one.

One caveat, though: Make sure the desktops are using the same distro as
the cluster, or at least has all the same libraries and environment as
the cluster. This will make sure that what they compile on the desktop
runs on the cluster. If they have to log into a different system to
build their code, the usefulness of this arrangement is reduced. (Not
eliminated, though, they can stills submit jobs for programs compiled
elsewhere and watch the queue with qstat).

--
Prentice