[GE users] Any reason not to have all user's workstations as submit hosts?

prentice prentice at ias.edu
Wed Apr 14 16:07:51 BST 2010

seandavi wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 6:35 AM, rumpelkeks
> <tina.friedrich at diamond.ac.uk> wrote:
>> Well, we've got a lot of things - certainly /home - on a central file
>> system. Likewise, SGE is installed on a central application server. All
>> our systems have a 'standard' environment setup, the cluster nodes are
>> in no way treated special - so the user environment on the nodes is the
>> same as on the workstations, with the same software/data in the same
>> paths and all.
>
> Now, way off-topic, but how does one keep 400+ machines that are user
> workstations anywhere near in sync?  Are they all network-boot?

Not off-topic at all - using an arrangement like this requires all the
systems to have the same or at least compatible environments so code
compiled and tested on a desktop will run on the cluster.

You need to have a robust configuration management in place, that can be
 a specific application like Puppet or cfengine, home solutions using
scripting or make, or just using tools like tentakel, cluster ssh, rdist
or plain old ssh/scp to make sure that all configuration changes are
sent to *all* machines whenever a change is made. The initial setup can
be standardized using kickstart or something similar.

Discussing those individual methods, however, is off-topic for this
thread, and new discussion should be started for that.

--
Prentice