[GE users] Any reason not to have all user's workstations as submit hosts?

fx d.love at liverpool.ac.uk
Wed Apr 14 17:27:44 BST 2010

prentice <prentice at ias.edu> writes:

> I find anything your can do to make work easier for your cluster users
> is a win,

The MS Windows approach...  Surely your systems management needs to
balance ease of use against security and other management issues?  Your
users won't thank you for the inconvenience of the typical security
theatre that attends a high profile security incident.  I've non-trivial
experience of that on facilities like diamond, but I think it's
off-topic.

> and allowing them to compile code and submit it from their own
> desktop is a big one.

Yes, but those are orthogonal.  Most of our users don't compile their
own code, but may find it convenient to do remote preparation and
submission of jobs.  They commonly do, just not via remote submit hosts.

--
Dave Love
?E-Science?, Computing Services Department, University of Liverpool
AKA fx at gnu.org