[GE users] Given 2 types of hosts fast/slow, how do I have sge use the slow machines first and the fast machines only if specifically requested first

craffi dag at sonsorol.org
Wed Apr 14 18:40:16 BST 2010

Hi Bill,

Search the docs in wikis.sun.com -- the keyword you want is "seqno" or
"seqno sorting.

Basically when the SGE scheduler is considering a lists of hosts that
are capable of satisfying all of the job resource requests there is a
default subsort by load so that the "least busy, most suitable machine"
gets your job first. You can override this behavior by assigning each
server host an integer value and then changing queue_sort to "seqno"

For your system you'd do something simple like give all of your old
systems a value of 10 and all of the new systems a seqno of 100 (I might
have the values reversed, can't remember who wins the sort - high or low
number ...)

-Chris