[GE users] Querying and compiling before sending to node

dasf dasf2008 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 14 21:00:53 BST 2010

Hi Reiti,

Thank you for your help. The paralelization is via threads indeed. So the idea is to query all nodes and find which one has the largest number of cores available. Then compile the code to use that number of cores and run the job on that node.

Pretty weird request, I agree, but there are so many possibilities with SGE that I wonder if such insanity is possible to be implemented.

Thanks!

Demetrio Filho

On Wed, Apr 14, 2010 at 3:05 PM, reuti <reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de<mailto:reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de>> wrote:
Am 14.04.2010 um 19:49 schrieb dasf:

> Ladies and Gentlemen,
>
> I have a program that can run on multiple threads (SMP) and I was wondering if I could write a SGE script that would probe the availability of processors and then compile the code according to this availability before submitting to the assigned node.
>
> The issue is that the compiler is only available on the headnode, so I have to compile the code before moving to the node.

It's unusual that you have to compile your application for each run. Most of the time you have to set environment variables to tell the application how many slots on which machines it should use. In your case telling the number of slots should be sufficient.

What paralleization does your application use? Custom programmed threads or Open MP?

-- Reuti