[GE users] Slots limits

pmuller philippe.muller at gmail.com
Thu Apr 15 13:35:48 BST 2010

Hi SGE users,

Despite my documentation reading, I'm still not sure about how slots work.

I have :
- 18 execution hosts ; divided into hostgroups (@foo contains 3 exec hosts and @bar contains 15 exec hosts)
- 3 queues : prod.q has access to all exec hosts ; foo.q has access to @bar exec hosts and bar.q has access to @bar exec hosts (foo.q and bar.q are subordinate to prod.q)

I'd like to limit the slot allocation to 8 slots per exec host.
How do I define the slots limits ? On each queue using the slots parameter ? On each exec host using the slots complex ?

Could someone give me a clear explanation of how to manage slots on queues/execution hosts ?

Thanks for your help!

Philippe Muller