[GE users] license integration: basic question

olesen Mark.Olesen at faurecia.com
Fri Apr 16 12:00:49 BST 2010

On Fri, 2010-04-16 at 15:56 +0530, sangamesh wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm implementing qlicserver, the Olesen method of license integration
> for ANSYS CFX & FLUENT apps by referring following link:
>
> http://olesenm.github.com/flex-grid/config.html
>
> I understand that, this method consist of three steps:
>
>  (1) Create complexes by the name of license features, using qconf -mc
>  (2) Create configuration file: qlicserver.config for qlicserver
>  (3) Then run the daemon: ./qlicserver -d
>
> The content of qliceserver.config file is as follows:
>
> # cat qlicserver.config
> <?xml version="1.0"?>
> <qlicserverConfig>
> <parameters type="overwrite">
>   <param
> name="LM_LICENSE_FILE">7241 at server1:1999 at server1:1055 at server1:27000 at server2</param>
> </parameters>
> <resources>
>   <!-- cfd applications -->
>   <!-- ANSYS FLUENT -->
>    <resource name="fluentall" served="fluentall" type="job" limit="10"
> note="All Fluent jobs"/>
>    <resource name="fluent" served="fluent" type="job" limit="10"
> note="Fluent serial jobs"/>
>    <resource name="fluent-par" served="fluent-par" type="job"
> limit="20" note="Fluent parallel jobs"/>
>   <!-- ANSYS CFX -->
>    <resource name="acfd_cfx_solver" served="acfd_cfx_solver"
> type="job" limit="10" note="CFX Solver"/>
>    <resource name="acfd_par_proc" served="acfd_par_proc" type="job"
> limit="15" note="CFX Parallel"/>
>  </resources>
> </qlicserverConfig>
>
> Is this the right procedure?

Looks okay.
The only thing that we do slightly differently is to call qlicserver
from a load sensor instead of as a daemon. The site/qloadsensor provides
an example.

There are a few reasons that I favour this approach instead of using a
daemon. The most important is that it guarantees that the qlicserver
only runs when the sge_qmaster is running. It thus provides and
automatic start/stop mechanism without having to fiddle with
other /etc/rc.d scripts. It can handle failover to a shadow master.
Equally important is that the threaded query to multiple license servers
(like you have) doesn't behave quite correctly when one of the queries
times out (a Perl issue). Instead of just killing off one of the
threads, it mostly kills off all of the threads. If you encounter this
in daemon mode, you'll need an extra mechanism to monitor this potential
failure. Calling it from the qloadsensor, lets you avoid this extra
hassle.

/mark

DISCLAIMER:
This electronic transmission (and any attachments thereto) is intended solely for the use of the addressee(s). It may contain confidential or legally privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient of this message, you must delete it immediately and notify the sender. Any unauthorized use or disclosure of this message is strictly prohibited. Faurecia does not guarantee the integrity of this transmission and shall therefore never be liable if the message is altered or falsified nor for any virus, interception or damage to your system.