[GE users] license integration: basic question

kdoman kdoman07 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 16 14:34:57 BST 2010

olesen - I think I missed the qlicsensor part somewhere. I have
qlicserver running as a daemon and it die frequently that I had to
have a cron job to check it every couple of hours.

Thanks.

On Fri, Apr 16, 2010 at 7:55 AM, sangamesh <forum.san at gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks for your quick reply
>
> To run qlicserver as a loadsensor, how it can be done? Does mentioning the
> path of qlicserver in "load_sensor" entry of qconf -mconf command?
>
> Thanks
>
> On Fri, Apr 16, 2010 at 4:30 PM, olesen <Mark.Olesen at faurecia.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, 2010-04-16 at 15:56 +0530, sangamesh wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > I'm implementing qlicserver, the Olesen method of license integration
>> > for ANSYS CFX & FLUENT apps by referring following link:
>> >
>> > http://olesenm.github.com/flex-grid/config.html
>> >
>> > I understand that, this method consist of three steps:
>> >
>> >  (1) Create complexes by the name of license features, using qconf -mc
>> >  (2) Create configuration file: qlicserver.config for qlicserver
>> >  (3) Then run the daemon: ./qlicserver -d
>> >
>> > The content of qliceserver.config file is as follows:
>> >
>> > # cat qlicserver.config
>> > <?xml version="1.0"?>
>> > <qlicserverConfig>
>> > <parameters type="overwrite">
>> >   <param
>> >
>> > name="LM_LICENSE_FILE">7241 at server1:1999 at server1:1055 at server1:27000 at server2</param>
>> > </parameters>
>> > <resources>
>> >   <!-- cfd applications -->
>> >   <!-- ANSYS FLUENT -->
>> >    <resource name="fluentall" served="fluentall" type="job" limit="10"
>> > note="All Fluent jobs"/>
>> >    <resource name="fluent" served="fluent" type="job" limit="10"
>> > note="Fluent serial jobs"/>
>> >    <resource name="fluent-par" served="fluent-par" type="job"
>> > limit="20" note="Fluent parallel jobs"/>
>> >   <!-- ANSYS CFX -->
>> >    <resource name="acfd_cfx_solver" served="acfd_cfx_solver"
>> > type="job" limit="10" note="CFX Solver"/>
>> >    <resource name="acfd_par_proc" served="acfd_par_proc" type="job"
>> > limit="15" note="CFX Parallel"/>
>> >  </resources>
>> > </qlicserverConfig>
>> >
>> > Is this the right procedure?
>>
>> Looks okay.
>> The only thing that we do slightly differently is to call qlicserver
>> from a load sensor instead of as a daemon. The site/qloadsensor provides
>> an example.
>>
>> There are a few reasons that I favour this approach instead of using a
>> daemon. The most important is that it guarantees that the qlicserver
>> only runs when the sge_qmaster is running. It thus provides and
>> automatic start/stop mechanism without having to fiddle with
>> other /etc/rc.d scripts. It can handle failover to a shadow master.
>> Equally important is that the threaded query to multiple license servers
>> (like you have) doesn't behave quite correctly when one of the queries
>> times out (a Perl issue). Instead of just killing off one of the
>> threads, it mostly kills off all of the threads. If you encounter this
>> in daemon mode, you'll need an extra mechanism to monitor this potential
>> failure. Calling it from the qloadsensor, lets you avoid this extra
>> hassle.

> [...]

<object type="application/x-shockwave-flash"
data="https://clients4.google.com/voice/embed/webCallButton"
width="230" height="85"><param name="movie"
value="https://clients4.google.com/voice/embed/webCallButton" /><param
name="wmode" value="transparent" /><param name="FlashVars"
value="id=bca66786587a81c2f3e9fae17f7b9c1bd2918718&style=0"
/></object>