[GE users] Array Task Interleave

reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Mon Apr 19 12:13:10 BST 2010

Am 19.04.2010 um 13:07 schrieb fx:

> dangruhn <Dan.Gruhn at groupw.com> writes:
>
>> I have a job setup where an array of tasks is used to create
>> individual sets of data that another array of tasks (the same number
>> in both cases) then load into a database.
>>
>> I have started using the -hold_jid_ad to have the second stage tasks
>> wait until their corresponding first stage tasks are finished.  What I
>> would like to have happen is that when a first stage task is finished,
>> the corresponding second stage task becomes ready and will run before
>> the other first stage task starts running.
>
> Isn't that what the array task dependency feature is for, or have I
> misunderstood?  (Maybe see http://open.rsp.com.au/?page_id=11 while the
> gridengine wiki is comatose.)

There is no statement I think, what will be scheduled first when you have A.5-A.100 waiting, and B.1-B.5 are eligable to run too as A.1-A.5 finished. It depends also on the size of the cluster, what can run at the same time. And you can also attach an urgency to the B jobs by requesting a complex.

-- Reuti