[GE users] failed job emails configuration

craffi dag at sonsorol.org
Wed Apr 21 18:10:02 BST 2010

No easy answer here.

The overwhelming setup I see with clusters that run large volumes of
jobs and send email alerts is to not route email to the organizational
email store - far more people will deliver email to local user accounts
on the cluster. From there individuals can do tricks with procmail etc.
to process emails and forward on the ones that are important.

To solve this at a central level you might have to write your own
smarter mail wrapper. In SGE it is absolutely trivial to reconfigure the
email program - it's just a path defined in the config for "mailer". In
that situation you would write a script that accepts the incoming emails
and decides if they should be forwarded on to the exchange server.

Consider this a long winded way of saying that there is no builtin
feature for SGE that will get you the behavior you are describing.

There are (of course) switches that you use with SGE qsub to determine
when emails get sent. Maybe your users just need to switch to the mail
flag that only triggers when a job exits or aborts?

chris