[GE users] binary re-location

rayson rayrayson at gmail.com
Tue Apr 27 05:02:33 BST 2010

First thing -- you will need to shutdown the qmaster during the
directory path migration, but doing so will not affect the running and
pending jobs.

Secondly, will you adjust the mount points so that the path names are
the same before and after the transition?? Otherwise, you will need to
adjust the bootstrap file:

http://gridengine.sunsource.net/nonav/source/browse/~checkout~/gridengine/doc/htmlman/htmlman5/bootstrap.html?pathrev=V62u5_TAG

Finally, you will need to adjust the "settings.[c]sh" scripts and/or
startup scripts.

As long as you don't delete or damage the spool directory, then your
jobs won't be lost -- which means "at most" you will cost extra
downtime.

And I always suggest this quick and dirty hack -- if you move the
spool directory, you can create a symbolic link from the original
directory to the new one, and to SGE the path/location stays the same
after the migration.

Rayson

P.S. I might miss a thing or 2, so test it with your test cluster
first if you can't affort an extra minute of downtime!