[GE users] Deleting jobs without qdel

iadzhubey iadzhubey at rics.bwh.harvard.edu
Wed Apr 28 15:52:00 BST 2010

Hi Todd

On Wednesday 28 April 2010 10:38:27 am heywood wrote:
> Is there any shortcut to deleting jobs in the system without qdel? We had a
> user "accidentally" submit 500K very short running jobs. SGE goes
> unresponsive, i.e. all commands hang, even qdel. Qping shows the messgaes
> in the read buffer constantly growing. I have even tried shutting down the
> qmaster and restarting it.

Been there, done that. Except our users often submit arrays in the range of 10
million tasks easily. If something goes wrong it may take quite an effort to
get rid of them. My strategy is to first of all immediately disable all queues
on the system. You can do this with 'qmod -d \*' command which does not
involve scanning queues contents and thus executes fairly fast even on a
heavily oversubscribed system. You can then proceed with deleting rogue jobs
still sitting in the queue.

Best,
Ivan