[GE users] Fwd: Subordinate queue help

dagru d.gruber at sun.com
Thu Apr 29 20:34:50 BST 2010

In SGE 6.2u5 there is a feature called "slotwise preemption"
(which was discussed also as slotwise suspend on subordination).
It does exactly what you need: You define a slot limit
in the high priority queue. This is the maximum amount
of jobs which can run in the low priority queue when
no job is running in the high priority queue. If there is one
job in the high queue then in the low priority queue one
job less than the limit can run. And so on. If the amount
of running jobs in the high queue and the low queue together
is exceeded, low priority jobs are suspended accordingly.
The high queue is not affected by the limit, there more
than 'limit' jobs can run. It is for non-parallel jobs only.
The scheduler is not aware if a job is going to be suspended
before the job is started. But to overcome this limit you
can make use of a host consumable, which counts the amount
of running jobs in both queues on the host for example (you
can give the high priority jobs more "costs" for the consumable)
If you set your scheduler queue sort method to 'load' and
select the consumable (or -consumable) as load formula, the
least loaded host according to high priority jobs is taken.
But this is for sequential (non-parallel) jobs only.

See also man page queue_conf(5):

http://gridengine.sunsource.net/nonav/source/browse/~checkout~/gridengine/doc/htmlman/htmlman5/queue_conf.html?pathrev=V62u5_TAG

Regards
Daniel