[GE users] Need help in SGE configuration and resource allocation

shaila shaila.parashar at colostate.edu
Fri Apr 30 22:28:20 BST 2010

Hi

I am a newbie to the resource allocation and ticket allocation on SGE.
I have the following scenario :-

We have 3 sets of machines :-

HostGroup 1 - 7 machines with 8 cores each and 16GB of RAM
HostGroup 2 - 4 machines with 16 cores  and 24G of RAM
HostGroup 3 - 10 machines with 8 cores and 24GB of RAM

Hostgroup 1 has been purchased by the college, Hostgroup 2 has been purchased by Mr. A and Hostgroup 3 has been purchased by Mr. B. They have included them in the big cluster with the condition that when they submit a job, they will get a minimum of what they purchased and additional resources from the other hostgroups based on availability.
So, when members from Mr. A's group  submit a job, they should get at least 64 cores and 24x4 GB of RAM and if there is more available , then they should get that too.
But when someone from Mr. B's group  comes along and submits a job, he should be guaranteed the 80 cores and 24x10 GB of RAM. So, if there is another job running on the other nodes, then they should be suspended and his jobs should start.
We also need to have a maximum wait period of 4 hours for the jobs.

I feel that there are a lot of things to be considered here and am not sure how to go about it.

I know I will need to have a load_scaling factor. But I am not able to figure out how to calculate it.
Also , I since we do not need to have a share tree policy, I have configured a functional policy for the groups.

Any suggestions on how to start on this sort of resource allocation and scheduling would be extremely helpful.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Shaila