[GE users] slotwise preemption

reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Mon Aug 2 12:07:52 BST 2010

Hi,

Am 01.08.2010 um 07:34 schrieb mrostaee:

> yes, I have limited slots for a node only. I defined consumable resource for one node Slots=4.I removed this limitation.

yes, this is necessary. Also suspended slots count as used from SGE's point of view.

> SGE(OGE) doesnot have any configuration such h_vmem or virtual_free on host or queue. only "slots" parameter of two queues set to 4.
> I have two nodes. test1 and c0-0
> now, I submit two jobs that require 4 slots to sec.q. these two jobs runs on c0-0.

Both sec.q jobs run on c0-0? Then it might be necessary to set the slot count in the queue configuration to 4.

> I submit a 8 slots job on all.q , but this job is running on c0-0 too. this means that a node wiyh 4 slots runs 3 jobs that require 12 slots.
> I want that  4 slot nodes use really 4 slots and when I submit a 4 or 8 slots job to all.q, jobs on sec.q be suspend

The feature to suspend parallel jobs was enable only in the latest public version of SGE I think. Before it was disabled, a) to avoid timeouts of parallel tasks and b) to avoid that a e.g. a 8 slots job with $round_robin got completely suspended because just one slot of it got suspended.

Please include always the complete conversion of the thread. After you pressed "reply" in your browser, there is a button "quote".