[GE users] SGE v6.2u6 source code

ron ron_chen_123 at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 6 05:58:44 BST 2010

--- On Tue, 8/3/10, weiser <m.weiser at science-computing.de> wrote:
> The stated reason for lack of access is "pending our change
> of open
> source sites and further high-level Oracle direction". Has
> there been any progress in those areas?

At least Grid Engine is not dead, and DanT and his team are not laid off:
http://blogs.sun.com/templedf/entry/not_dead_yet

But *looks like* some Oracle HPC (ie. Sun HPC) workers were axed:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/08/05/sun_hpc_cuts_systems/

Given that it took so long for Oracle to announce that Grid Engine is not dead, it will take even longer for Oracle to tell us what is going on with the project. Note that with the OpenSolaris project is having the same problem - Oracle is still deciding the development model.

Lastly, after reading DanT's blog and from watching the changes that were put into SGE for the past few years, it's my impression that Grid Engine development will be less focused on the Grid Engine core (qmaster, execd, scheduler), and more on add-on products (GUI installer, SGEInspect, Hadoop), and in the future, more cloud integrations (EC2, and something that would eventually be Platform ISF competitor). Even the current version of SGE is good enough for most (over 90%) of the clusters - again, just my opinion.

 -Ron