[GE users] Policy question.

gutnik gutnik at gmail.com
Wed Aug 18 01:03:31 BST 2010

>> I've set up (I think) a Share Tree policy, but it doesn't seem to
>> work: jobs get executed in the order they're submitted to the queue.
>> I see userA with 50 jobs running for hours. Some time later, userB
>> submits a few jobs, but userA's jobs keep getting executed
>> while B's wait. As I understand it, userB jobs should be executed
>> next, because both show up as "default" users, with equal
>> shares.
>
> when you want just a fair-share, then this might be easier to set up:
>
> http://gridengine.info/2006/01/17/easy-setup-of-equal-user-fairshare-policy
>
> but it's not honoring the past usage.

it would be nice to keep track of recent usage.

> The automatically created user entries will forget the accumulated usage of the past I fear.

That would be a problem, but in my case, it's not even an issue of
past usage -- it's present usage.
At this instant, userA is using 50 slots and has another 50 queued up,
and those are getting executed.
UserB is using no slots, and is having to wait for userA.

> For share-tree setup in a larger scale there are two Howto's:
>
> http://www.sun.com/blueprints/0703/817-3179.pdf
> http://www.sun.com/blueprints/1005/819-4325.html
>
> (from http://gridengine.sunsource.net/howto/howto.html)

Thanks. I'll look through the howtos.

(Oh, and laotsao: I have googled some, and looked at manuals some. If
there's a specific page
you'd like to point to, that would be great. As far as I understand
from what I've read, I've set
up the policies correctly.)

       Vadim