[GE users] Policy question.

reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Wed Aug 18 12:03:01 BST 2010

Hi,

Am 18.08.2010 um 02:03 schrieb gutnik:

>>> I've set up (I think) a Share Tree policy, but it doesn't seem to
>>> work: jobs get executed in the order they're submitted to the queue.
>>> I see userA with 50 jobs running for hours. Some time later, userB
>>> submits a few jobs, but userA's jobs keep getting executed
>>> while B's wait. As I understand it, userB jobs should be executed
>>> next, because both show up as "default" users, with equal
>>> shares.
>>
>> when you want just a fair-share, then this might be easier to set up:
>>
>> http://gridengine.info/2006/01/17/easy-setup-of-equal-user-fairshare-policy
>>
>> but it's not honoring the past usage.
>
> it would be nice to keep track of recent usage.
>
>> The automatically created user entries will forget the accumulated usage of the past I fear.
>
> That would be a problem, but in my case, it's not even an issue of
> past usage -- it's present usage.
> At this instant, userA is using 50 slots and has another 50 queued up,
> and those are getting executed.
> UserB is using no slots, and is having to wait for userA.

yes. The already running ones won't be rescheduled. If you want to avoid that a single user uses all available slots, you can  define either an RQS (with individual limits of slots for each user) or set it global for all user in `qconf -msconf`by "maxujobs ..." to a certain value (BTW: it's jobs here, not slots).

-- Reuti