[GE users] Parallel job distribution to span subclusters

reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Wed Aug 18 14:57:17 BST 2010

Am 18.08.2010 um 13:22 schrieb henry_leyh:

> Hello,
> We have two subclusters, A and B, in our cluster.  The machines in subcluster
> A are almost identical to those in B, the only difference being slightly
> faster CPUs.  I can send parallel jobs to either A or B (not caring which)
> using wildcards in the PE selection.
>
> What I would like now is a job which doesn't fit in A or B to span over free
> slots in A _and_ B.  That is, only if there are not enough free slots in
> neither A nor B it is allowed to combine slots from both A and B.
>
> Any ideas?  As I understand, sequential numbering of PEs is not available yet?

correct.

So you have a third PE which you attached to both hostgroups and can't by reached by accident with the wildcard? The only option I see, is to have a co-scheduler, which will monitor the free slots and use `qalter` for one of the pending jobs to change it from "mpi_*" to "mpi-all" (here a dash) or alike.

Or, instead of altering the job request, change the limit of slots of an RQS of the "limit -pes mpi_all slots=..." rule (here an underscore).

-- Reuti