[GE users] submit jobs between clusters

ppk ppk at ats.ucla.edu
Wed Aug 18 15:51:56 BST 2010

UC Grid was written to work with a web portal, but it can
work on the command line too.  Basically,
a) It needs a MyProxy server to lease short lived credential
(X-509) for the users.
b) On both clusters the username should be added to the
Globus grid-mapfile.
c) There should be a node (grid appliance) on the cluster
where Globus Toolkit is installed which is a submission host
for SGE scheduler.
d) The jobs are submitted to Globus GRAM and the files are
transferred back and forth using GridFTP.

It is also a single sign on concept for multiple clusters
just like other grid based portals.  Latest version of UC
Grid can also work from Iphone, Ipad and Android based
phones using Globus Toolkit and RESTful web services.  UC
Grid is also a Globus Incubator project.  Some grid portals
(like Teragrid) use GSI-ssh  to have direct ssh access from
the web and some use VNC to initiate ssh sessions to open
interactive sessions.  It is not easy, but it is doable. :-)
  Everything we do is open source also.  :-)
(http://grid.ucla.edu, http://grid.ucsb.edu,
http://grid.ucr.edu)  .  Thanks.

Prakashan