[GE users] Installing 6.2 over 6.0 without any modification ?

reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Thu Aug 19 11:05:08 BST 2010

Hi,

Am 19.08.2010 um 09:38 schrieb spow_:

> I have a very buggy 6.0 version of SGE (segfaults on menus opening, warnings, jobs non getting dispatched whereas they should be ...) and the expected behaviour is not reproduced as it is on my 6.1 version on another cluster.
>
> Someone at work offered me to install briefly a 6.2 over the 6.0 on the problematic cluster to see whether my configuration is wrong or the SGE install is bugged : is it possible, only to update the master host ? Will 6.2 recognize the exec hosts ?
>
> What I would like to do is being able to install 6.2 in a new directory without shutting down the exec hosts, ad come back at 6.0 at any time by supressing the 6.2 folder. Is this feasible ?
>
> Also, I have read that some of you (Rayon, Ron, Reuti ...) have compiled a 6.2u5 version for Linux. May I use this one on RH 5.3, or should I get the trial version of OGE ?

you can't neither mix versions in a cluster, nor just install a newer version to use the old settings file. You will need to backup the configuration and load it afterwards.

Depending on the settings you made, it can be faster to just define the queues again. But even then, you have to do it for all nodes.

The 6.2u5 is still available under the open source terms at the Oracle site AFAIK (it's stating "Open Source 6.2u5"- at least the 6.2u6 download page looks different for the commercial product and showing only the evaluation license). So using the 6.2u5 open source binary is still fine to be used, as Andy mentioned in a former post:

http://gridengine.sunsource.net/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=38&dsMessageId=261912