[GE users] Followup project

joelandman landman at scalableinformatics.com
Thu Aug 19 17:23:35 BST 2010

ppk wrote:
> It appears to me so far all the efforts to the Open Grid
> Scheduler is coming from individuals volunteering to help.
>   We are not stealing anything.  We are just reusing what is
> already available to us in the open source form and sharing
> among us.  It is just my common sense thinking. :-)
>
> Prakashan

Hi Prakashan

   My concern is that if the folks who own the IP in the code decide to
start asserting that ownership in a way that makes it hard for us to
work with this/contribute.

   We want to.  I just don't want us to run afoul of other peoples
property.

   Yes it is "open source" (its not GPL2 as I remember, I don't remember
which license it is).  No one is accusing anyone of stealing.  Someone
owns that IP, and that ownership isn't dropped as part of using an OSS
license.  They can take all their marbles and go home.  What I am hoping
is that with some rebranding and removal of the copyrighted info, this
can continue.

   Again, this is something we may be able to commit resources to.  I
just want to know we aren't going to get slapped down for doing it.

Joe

> joelandman wrote:
>> Let me ask a (somewhat obvious) set of questions.
>>
>> Is there any possibility that this project could be shut down due to
>> Oracle flexing legal muscle?  That is, DanT looks like his group has
>> funding and a roadmap, and they might not take too kindly to an external
>> group building a relicensed version.  Nor give their permission for
>> relicensure.

Joseph Landman, Ph.D
Founder and CEO
Scalable Informatics Inc.