[GE users] Re: Re: Re: [GE users] Issue seen in 6.2U5 : memory values reported bySGE too low compared to top output on linux systems

fx d.love at liverpool.ac.uk
Thu Aug 19 18:06:47 BST 2010

reuti <reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de> writes:

> What license will apply to this product then?

How can it be anything other than Sun's bizarre licence (SISSL)?

> Can we include some GNU tools and libs now - i.e. a tight sshd for
> example.

OpenSSH isn't a GNU package and has a more permissive licence than
SISSL.  Anything in glibc is OK on a GNU system.  LGPL and BSD-ish code
are OK to link.  GPL code isn't (see http://www.gnu.org/licenses).

> I would also like to use getops and getops_long for the arguments
> parsing to OGS. I'm sometimes trapped by using the combined style and
> leaving blanks out, which works for other applications but not OGS.

The command arguments aren't consistent with getopt generally, are they?
`qconf -sfoo' would parse as four single-char args.  Sanitizing that
would be good, of course, but incompatible.

> Yeah. Will we need to support all stuff which is right now in the
> package, or focus on the one that is most needed by the community?

What would you not support that currently gets built?  However, it's not
just SGE, but also SDM and ARCo to consider.  As far as I remember, not
all components of that are free software, unfortunately.  It's not just
code, either, but documentation -- I have assorted fixes for that.

> I would also suggest to look into combining OGS with the "GNU Batch"
> scheduler - it would extend OGS with changable consumables depending
> on the result of a job, and use them to start another job and also
> cron-like features.

You can't combine SISSL code with GPL code.

--
Dave Love
AKA fx at gnu.org