[GE users] queue setup and calendars.

gutnik gutnik at gmail.com
Thu Aug 19 18:42:18 BST 2010

I have a question about how to set up a queue.

I have one queue ("default.q") now. To ensure that no one user
dominates the queue, I set resource limits so that a single user can't
use
more than 20 slots.

At off-peak times, however (say, 6pm-8am) I would like to relax this,
and let users run an arbitrary number of jobs, as long as the jobs
finish before peak time.

My idea was to create a second queue ("offpeak.q"), which would be
  1) active 6pm-5am
  2) have no per-user resource limits
  3) limit jobs to 3 hours of real time, to make sure that jobs finish by 8am.

I think I know how to do that.

But I don't know how to allow users to submit specific jobs that would
go to offpeak.q if available, and
otherwise go to default.q. Normal jobs should never go into offpeak.q,
because they'd be killed in 3 hours.

Anyone know how to do this? Is there some simpler approach to solve
this problem?

  Vadim