[GE users] submit jobs between clusters

russray rray at semtech.com
Thu Aug 19 20:44:24 BST 2010

reuti <reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de> wrote on 08/18/2010 01:51:25 PM:

> Hi,
>
> Am 18.08.2010 um 16:19 schrieb russray:
>
> > I have setup two clusters that are independent of each other at
> different sites.
> >
> > Site 1:  running GE 6.1u3
> > Site 2:  running GE 6.2u2_1
> >
> > I would like to have users at Site 2 to be able to submit a job to
> a queue on Site 1.  Can someone point me to a how-to or manual or
> something that would help me figure out how to have the clusters
> "see" each other so jobs could be submitted to the other site?
>
> which features do you need in detail - you have to distribute also
> large input-/outout-data? The users are known at both locations with
> the same UID? An SSH connection exists?
>
> -- Reuti

1.  centralized authentication so users known by all machines at both locations
2.  auto mounted home directories by all machines for all users
3.  ssh used to login to a machine
4.  jobs are single jobs, low data to start the job, then a compressed tar file to return to user
5.  data can use cp and no ftp or scp necessary

And if it matters, the clusters are small.
Site 1:  5 machines, 15 cpus
Site 2:  3 machines, 18 cpus

Currently only one queue on Site 1 needs to be used from Site 2 and no jobs from Site 1 need to run on Site 2.