[GE users] Re: Re: Re: [GE users] Issue seen in 6.2U5 : memory values reported bySGE too low compared to top output on linux systems

rayson rayrayson at gmail.com
Thu Aug 19 22:27:17 BST 2010

On Thu, Aug 19, 2010 at 1:07 PM, fx <d.love at liverpool.ac.uk> wrote:
> This seems rather confused.  SISSL is copyleft (but rather odd), and
> copyleft code stays copyleft by design.  I don't understand the point
> about making money and Bioteam.  Surely you explicitly want people to be
> able to provide a support service.

I mean it is usually harder to make money off an application that is
licensed under a copyleft license, and I don't need to sell software
licenses to make a living.

And related to Bioteam and other people, I mean they can continue to
install SGE on clusters without worrying about paying first.

> Beware of software patent threats outside the coverage of the SISSL,
> which I'm not sure is very clear.

Most of the technologies in batch systems are really old. In fact, I
was reading the patents granted to Platform Computing, Cluster
Resources INC, and Sun (of course the SGE related subset), and found
that most of them (if not all? I need to go through them one by one
again) do not cover what we have in the core SGE codebase. However, I
don't have an understanding of the other add-on modules so they are
not part of the Open Grid Scheduler project yet.

Rayson