[GE users] did I miss something? (openscheduler, etc. etc)

craffi dag at sonsorol.org
Thu Aug 19 23:11:42 BST 2010

I'm trying to get my head around the mailing list threads where people
are talking about moving the source code elsewhere and otherwise forking
off things.

What did I miss?

If people are upset about the 90-day eval limit on the binaries
available from oracle.com than all we really need to do under the terms
of the SISSL license is organize ourselves to the point where we can
build and host our own courtesy binaries (just like the ones that
gridengine.sunsource.net used to provide).

Any binaries built by us from the SGE codebase will not be encumbered by
the 90-day eval license restrictions.

I feel like I missed an Oracle announcement or something? Are they not
putting patches back into gridengine.sunsource.net or something?

Why are we talking about new code repositories and mailing lists? In my
mind all we really need to do is get together some people who are
willing to commit resources to building binaries off of the existing
codebase that are not encumbered with commercial eval terms. My company
(BioTeam) can commit resources to this if needed.

Clues appreciated, I'm really quite confused!

Regards,
Chris