[GE users] Reversing Sequence Number Sorting?

reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Thu Aug 19 23:26:05 BST 2010

Hi,

Am 19.08.2010 um 23:44 schrieb jlforrest:

> I have a queue that I've configured to
> sort jobs by queue instance sequence
> number. This works fine.
>
> However, one of the people I work with
> observed that this setting results in the
> nodes with lower sequence numbers
> running more jobs than the higher sequence
> number nodes when the queue isn't
> completely full. He was wondering if there
> might be long term physical damage if some
> nodes, e.g. the low sequence number nodes,
> are always 100% busy. This probably generates
> way more heat.

yes - correct. You could even start to switch off the nodes with the higher numbers by SDM/Hedeby automatically.

What I heard, is that thermal expansion and shrinking is most stress to the material. So, when some nodes are always running at 100% it's best, as they won't change temperature (and they should be designed to run under such conditions). And the nodes at the other end are always colder - also fine.

> Is there a way to sort by descending sequence number?
> Changing this parameter every year or so might
> be a good thing to level out wear and tear.

When you have a maintenance contract for the hardware, it wouldn't matter. You could also argue, that you have some less used nodes left at the end of the maintenance.

-- Reuti

PS: It would nevertheless be possible to generate random sequence numbers each night - but as `qstat` would also change the order, it can get confusing. I'm not aware of any option to just change the order to descending.